Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Autism Awareness


April is Autism Awareness month. Years ago, this meant nothing to me. I did not know anyone with autism, nor did I know what autism even was. Today, I could almost write a book lol. It is amazing to know what you can learn, or how active you can be, when it affects your child.

It is astonishing to me to think that in 1983 autism affected 5-15 out of 10,000 kids. Last year, it was 1 out of 150 kids, this year...1 out of 110 kids have autism. If something is not done soon, there will be more and more kids affected. And when a child has autism, it isnt just that child whos life is changed, it is everyone who loves him.

Much research is still needed to find the causes of autism and ways to prevent and cure it. Me personally, I do not look for a "cure" anytime soon, I really dont know that there will ever be a cure....such as there is not one for cancer. But I do know there is a strong need for better treatment and therapies, for insurance companies to cover autism, and better support for parents and siblings.

I am organizing the first ever Walk for Autism in Double Springs. I am hoping it is a huge success and we can continue to make it bigger and better with each new year. But mostly, I am hoping that it will help people understand the seriousness of this issue.

Most people are like me and never gave a second thought to autism, but believe me, when it is your child, you think about it all the time.

Someone asked me recently if there was a cure, a magic pill or something that would completely cure Dalton of autism, would I let him take it? My answer is still I dont know. I know how much simpler Daltons life would be, how much easier things would be for him, so I would be very tempted. But I wouldnt want to change him. He is the most loving, adorable child anyone could ever ask for. Yes, we have times that are not so loving and that are very, very hard....but you take the good with the bad. Dalton was born with the problems he has, autism and other medical problems included. That is the way God intended him to be and I know there is a purpose. I only wish there were more therapies that people could actually afford that would help.

So, I guess this is it for now....I am sure I will think of more later. ;-)






"If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment